Food was contaminated by flies in the "dirty" kitchen of a Powys tourist attraction, a court has heard.
The Centre for Alternative Technology (CAT), near Machynlleth, was fined £13,000 after admitting 10 food hygiene offences at Llandrindod Wells Magistrates Court on Wednesday.
It followed a routine environmental health inspection in September 2016.
After the hearing, CAT said it had made improvements and its hygiene rating had increased from zero to three.
The court heard how a Powys council environmental health officer found accumulations of dirt, grease and food debris on floor and wall coverings, shelves, the underside of food preparation surfaces, the extraction canopy and in the equipment washing area.
The door seals of the walk-in chiller and freezer were mouldy and food preparation utensils were dirty and damaged.
Food was stored in open packets despite there being flies in the kitchen and dead flies were found in a ready-to-eat salad dressing which had been left uncovered in the food handling area.
In a statement following the court case, CAT said: "This court case relates to an inspection that took place in September 2016, which led to a zero rating for the CAT cafe.
"We immediately set about making improvements, acting decisively to address each issue raised by environmental health.
"As a result, we have since been awarded a level three rating, and are continuing to work on improving this with a view to gaining a top rating."
|The above news content from BBC NEWS.|